Monday, June 21, 2010

Where can I donate new, unopened cosmetics and personal care items?

I used to sell Mary Kay cosmetics, and I still have a closet full of stuff. I would like to make a charitable donation to a women's shelter or a group that helps underprivileged women get back to work (or some other worthy cause) but I've had a really hard time finding anyone who will take my items and give me a receipt for my taxes. Where can I donate my items? They are all brand new, unused, and in their original packaging. Surely they can be of use to someone!Where can I donate new, unopened cosmetics and personal care items?
I don't know where you live, but try the Salvation Army. Not the thrift stores, but a shelter run by them. Working Wardrobes, Women Helping Women also come to mind. The Salvation Army has homeless shelters, and transitional housing programs to help people to get back on their feet. If the Salvation Army does not have a shelter near you, try a local Domestice Violence shelter. These women often arrive with little more than the clothes on their backs.





Bless you for sharing!Where can I donate new, unopened cosmetics and personal care items?
There are actually food groups in many areas that help the poor that do not ONLY give food away. Try any of those type services. Perhaps the local salvation army has a drop off location near you. They take many type of things, sell it in stores for rainsing funds to use in various projects, as well as give such item away. At least they do locally here.





I have thought of another that may be even better. Many times women under threat of husbands or others will stay in women's shelters, many times having to leave ALL their personal items at home, or losing them all together. This would be the place I would take it. Ask the sheriff's deptartment or government agency in charge of such in your area.
There are programs that assist those going on their first job interview how to dress and wear makeup. I will attact their web sites. Also you may tried Domestic Violence Shelters that assist those to become more self confident and assured in overcoming the abuse they have suffered.
Curious, do they give you a reason for refusing the items, or for refusing to provide you with a receipt?? Seems absurd if they are unopened...especially at women's shelters/groups?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
skin moles